I loved this week's CPS Sketch! Our sponsor this week was Scor-Pal, so I wanted to incorporate something other than my normal fold. I started with a 4-1/4" x 12" piece of cardstock, then scored it at 3" and at 8-1/2". I then laid it out in a landscape orientation and folded the right flap in first. The left flap has the bracket box attached to it.
How about those papers? Digital! I wasn't very confident after my hybrid foray a few weeks ago, but I just kept getting good deals on lovely digital papers--the ones that I'm "someday" going to digi-scrap with. When I looked at this week's CPS Sketch and saw a box, I wanted to use a bracket box. I had ordered some online not long ago, and when I got them, they were too large for cards. What I needed was a bracket box that I could control the size of. . . Wait a minute! I started checking my digital files, and there were several choices--woohoo! So, other than the plain cardstock on this card, a natural vanilla (Prism), Bordering Blue (SU), and Spring Moss (PaperTrey Ink), everything else is from Shabby Miss Jenn's Lil Guys Collection. I have so many pink, flowery papers, but I wanted an anniversary card to appeal to both genders, hence the blues and greens.
Printer Ramble: When I print digital papers, I have the best luck using heavyweight matte finish paper on best print setting. And if I need only 5-1/2", I resize the 12" x 12" file in my print dialog box to 5-1/2" x 5-1/2" so I'm not wasting ink printing paper that I don't need. Then I can turn the paper around to the other end and print a second 5-1/2" x 5-1/2" pattern, or some smaller elements so that I don't waste paper. I also have a printer for which I can get very economical generic ink, and it will be a sad day when it dies. (It's a Canon Pixma iP 3000. It's probably outdated, but I knew that I would get e-mail asking about it if I didn't tell you what it was. Your best bet on choosing a printer is to check Consumer Reports or something similar. Then check the online ink vendors to see if generic ink is available for the model that you choose. I think my printer was only about $50, so a decent printer doesn't have to cost a lot to buy or to re-ink. Okay, printer ramble has now officially ended.
Stamps, etc.: For stamps, I used Stampin' Up's Kind Thoughts set along with a sentiment from Favor It Weddings by PaperTrey Ink. For the tag, I used one of my new Spellbinders Tags Trio dies, and for the circles I used my Spellbinders Nestability Plain and Petite Scalloped Circle dies. Ribbon is PaperTrey Ink's Spring Moss stitched grosgrain, and those cute little heart rhinestones are made by A Muse. (Yes, I've been waiting for at least a year to use these on something! :-D)
Finally, a word about scoring tools: if you don't have one, and you are an avid papercrafter, you need one. (No, no one asked me to say this. It's my version of a public service announcement. :-D) Here's the scoop: I looked at scoring tools for two years before I decided to buy one. I just kept thinking, "That's two sets of stamps that I'm giving up to buy a tool." I had a little scoring blade for my smallest paper cutter. In fact, I had two of them: one was dull and didn't score well, and the other was sharp and cut into my paper unless I remembered to score lightly. I finally bought a dedicated scoring tool, and I don't think I have made even one card in the past couple of years that I haven't used a scoring tool on--yes, to me, it's that important. I now have two different brands of scoring tools, and both work beautifully. Truthfully, the Scor-Pal is the one I use most for two reasons: first, it is lighter to pull off of the shelf while I'm sitting down working, and second, I don't have to bother to look at measurements. I can simply align the cardstock in the corner, and 95% of the time, I'm good to go. (Occasionally I may be scoring a non-standard sized item and use a different tool, or I may have a piece of cardstock that is 1/16" short. That would account for the other 5% of the time, in case you're wondering.)
Goodness, I'm quite verbose when I'm typing a blog post during the day instead of the middle of the night! Don't worry: I won't make a habit of it. Have a blessed Sunday!
Stamps: Kind Thoughts (Stampin' Up), Favor It Weddings (PaperTrey Ink)
Papers: (DIGITAL) Shabby Miss Jenn's Little Guys Collection
Cardstock: Prism Natural; PaperTrey Ink Spring Moss; Stampin' Up Bordering Blue
Accessories: Ribbon is PaperTrey Ink Spring Moss Stitched Grosgrain; heart-shaped rhinestones are A Muse Twinkle Stickers
Tools: Scor-Pal; Spellbinders Tags Trio and Nestabilities Plain and Petite Scalloped Circle Dies; Ranger Inkssentials White Opaque pen; piercing tool, foam tape