Yes, yes I did need another graduation card. . . And today I played with several different ways to color the sunflower image from Papertrey's Botanical Blocks stamp set, finally settling on a Copic airbrushed version.
I decided early in the process that it would be simplest to airbrush this image in two layers so that I didn't have to worry about doing any masking; I just freehanded the airbrushing on the sunflower image, which looks terrible in the picture above; but since I was trimming the image closely, it really didn't matter in the least on the finished version. (All Copic marker colors are shown a couple of pictures down on my Copic Color Maps picture.) To get darker, you work nearer the paper and press the airbrush trigger a bit harder. It takes some practice, but it's not difficult.
This is what it looked like after peeling the masking paper edges away from the blue layer, and trimming the sunflower closely. See? No worries on the overspray!
Here are all of the Copic colors that I used. I added cast shadows with a couple of Copic BV markers (BV01 and BV04), and I lightened a few places with my Colorless Blender. All of the rest is simply airbrushed with the colors stated and my Copic Airbrush System.
As you can see, I played with the image in several different ways before settling on the airbrushed version! The two on the left are watercolored. They will probably get used eventually. . . (Click on any picture to see a larger version.)
I knew that I wanted a simple background to let the sunflower have all of the attention, so I chose a Spellbinders Dainty Dots M-Bossabilities folder to use with Harvest Gold cardstock for a textured, homespun look. Mat layer is PTI's Summer Sunrise.
That's it for today--hope you are having a great almost-Summer day!