Good morning! I had a couple of questions about my airbrushed background on the inside of THIS MFT Stamps You're Rawr-Some card, so I thought I'd share some outtakes that might help with both the airbrushing part and the use of the new MFT Pop-up Die-namics.
My mask is simply a torn piece of scrap paper. I try to tear it so that I have a random hills-and-valleys edge rather than a straight edge, though I often still end up using both halves of my stencil (as you can see above) to get curvy clouds. The patterned paper that you see in the background is covering a magnetic board (Essentials by Ellen Craft Assistant, linked at the bottom of the post), so I can use strong magnets to hold my masks and my cardstock in place rather than needing to use the low-tack masking that some projects need.
I used a Copic B04 Original and Airbrush System** to airbrush my clouds, concentrating the ink toward the torn edge so that the clouds are darker on the bottom than on the top. It's really a pretty forgiving process--not that complicated to "fake" clouds!
**While I used my air compressor and Copic ABS3, the ABS1 (linked at bottom of post) would work equally well for this if you have one; you might just have to pause for a couple of minutes occasionally to let the can return to room temperature if it gets too cold. Also, if you are wondering why I used a Copic Original rather than Sketch marker, I could have used either. I have 95% Sketch markers, but I have Originals in a few colors that I use most often for backgrounds since they snap precisely into place with no checking to make sure that the angle is right when I insert them into my Air Grip.
When I finished my clouds, I used the other half of my torn stencil to mask off the sky so that I could airbrush ground (Copic YG17 and YG25). I wanted the card base to be white toward the bottom, so I gradually faded my gradation as I airbrushed ground. Because I knew that most of the green in the background would be covered by pop-up elements, I did not need to be careful to have cooler, less saturated tones back toward the horizon line.
Before using the MFT Die-namics Narrow Pop-Up Elements to cut my pop-ups, I played with placement to see which dinosaur I wanted in front and where I wanted the tree and greenery. I decided that I wanted the small dinosaur in front of the large one, the tree behind the small dinosaur, and other greenery elements attached to the dinosaurs or tree. So I needed three of the pop-up dies with their center bar placed in the FOLD of my cardstock, as shown above. (I usually place Washi tape on both ends of the die to make sure that it stays put as I run it through my die-cutting machine.)
When the pop-ups were cut and bent outward at the fold of my card, this is what they looked like.
You can see the pop-up element behind the small dinosaur, as well as a small piece of the pop-up element behind the larger dinosaur. Since they blend into the sky or ground, however, they really aren't distracting.
I hope that helps with both airbrushing the background, as well as using the MFT Pop-Up Elements Die-namics! Again, the original post is HERE if you are looking for cardstock an dink details. Thanks for stopping by today,